May 12th, 2008
A failing sex drive can be frustrating, but there are a number of things that you can do to make it better. Some of these sure-fire methods include exercising, eating well, and being healthier in general. Here, we’ve listed these and many other easy and natural ways to get your spark back. Emotional If your mind is not open to sex, your body just won’t follow. Try these strategies for effective ways to help get in the mood.
- Build self-confidence: Improve your interest in sex by feeling good about yourself.
- Rid yourself of stress: Stress will weaken your libido, as worry keeps your mind off of sex and on other things. Try relaxing with a warm bath or a good book.
- Don’t get caught up in fights: Resolve problems with your partner so that they don’t lead to withdrawal in the bedroom.
- Get your imagination going: Read a steamy novel or watch porn to get your mind’s eye thinking about sex.
- Change your attitude about sex: Don’t think about sex as a chore. Rather, regard it as a fun, pleasurable activity with someone you love.
Physical Take these physical steps to make your body more receptive to sex.
- Be attractive: Even if you’re not naturally beautiful, there are a number of things you can do to make yourself feel more attractive. Whether that means a spa day or a new outfit, do whatever it takes to feel good about yourself.
- Stretch: Stretching offers a low-impact way to improve your blood flow and relax.
- Exercise: Work the muscles that you need for good sex, and you’ll both improve blood flow and feel good about yourself.
- Get a massage: Massages can release the tension in your body and increase your blood flow, which is good for sexual arousal.
- Try yoga: Certain yoga positions will help improve circulation to your sexual organs and increase desire.
- Lose weight: Excessive weight can have an effect on your self-esteem and make you feel less attractive. It’s also possible that being overweight can interfere with blood flow to your sexual organs, so shed a few pounds to help your libido.
Habits Your libido is an ongoing entity, and it’s affected by everything that you do. Try these methods, and consider how you can improve your sex drive with habits from your daily life.
- Quit smoking: Smoking has an adverse effect on blood flow, as it causes a narrowing of blood vessels, including those in sexual organs. Additionally, smoking steals your energy and gives you bad breath.
- Smell good: Your sense of smell can boost your libido. Some scents in particular, like buttered popcorn and baby powder, have been found to turn men and women on.
- Get a good night’s rest: If you’re tired, chances are you’re not going to be in the mood. So sleep well at night and rest up for good health and good sex.
- Drink in moderation: Alcohol may increase desire initially, but can lead to impotence and general unattractiveness if you go too far.
- Touch each other constantly: Touching your partner, whether it’s sexual or not, can help arouse sexual feelings. This can be as simple as holding hands or hugging on a regular basis.
Food Beyond daily habits, the things you eat can have an effect on your libido. Check out these foods to improve your desire for sex.
- Eat aphrodisiacs: Some foods are just great for getting you in the mood. Oysters in particular are good to eat, as they’re full of fertility-boosting zinc.
- Avoid simple carbs: Carbohydrate dishes are likely to have you heading to bed for sleep instead of sex, so avoid pasta, pizza and other snooze-inducing meals.
- Eat protein: Protein will give you an energy boost that will have you feeling good and ready for sex.
- Eat fish: Fish is not only high in protein, it has Omega-3 fatty acids as well, and these acids are wonderful for improving your circulation and sexual health.
- Cut down on saturated fat: Men should be careful to avoid eating too much saturated fat, as it can clog arteries and block adequate flow to your penis. One doctor says that a good guideline to keep in mind is, "anything that’s good for your heart is good for your penis."
Health Your overall health has a profound effect on your sex drive, so speak to your doctor about these issues.
- Look into your hormones: Speak with your doctor about your low libido. Sometimes, the problem lies in a hormone imbalance.
- Consider quitting antidepressants: Many antidepressant medications can have a negative effect on your sex drive, so discuss discontinuation of your prescription or consider alternatives.
- Keep diabetes in check: Uncontrolled diabetes can be responsible for sexual evils like erectile dysfunction and decreased sexual response, so be sure to take care of it.
- Look into adrenal fatigue: Your failing libido could be brought on by a condition called adrenal fatigue. Speak with your doctor to see if you have this condition.
Remedies Finally, you can supplement the actions you’re taking to improve your sex life with these herbal remedies that are believed to help.
- Gingko biloba: This remedy has been shown to improve blood flow to both your brain and sexual organs. It’s also believed to offer an improvement on desire, arousal, and orgasm.
- Yohimbe: This "natural Viagra" has been used in Africa as an aphrodisiac for many years. It’s believed to improve male impotence.